Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Bell & Howell Filmo70D 16mm Movie Camera

  1. #1
    tfunch24
    Guest tfunch24's Avatar

    Post

    I just bought one from an eBay seller. It comes equipped with the following (from the eBay description):

    Original brown leather case
    1 Wollensak Cine Raptar 12.5mm lens w/caps
    1 25mm B&H Lumax with Rear cap
    Filter holders for both lenses
    Numerous contrast filters (red, yellow, orange, etc) for B&W film
    Speeds from 8-64 fps
    Accepts C-Mount lenses
    Shutter recently repaired, camera kept lubricated

    I picked this up to make my first foray into 16mm films. Not the world's fanciest camera, but it should suffice for student films.

    In general, I've heard pretty good things about Bell & Howell 16mm cameras. I have a B&H 16mm Filmo 141B that some woman gave me last Xmas, but that camera only accepts magazines.

    Now I just need to find someplace locally that sells 16mm film or give Kodak a call....

    Any thoughts?

    Tom

  2. #2
    Inactive Member rollemfilm's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 1st, 2000
    Posts
    437
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Is this a DA, DL or DR? Some DA models will take single perf, some only double perf. not a big deal unless you want to convert the camera to super 16. this you can have done. these cameras need more oil than almost any other professional cameras. some DA models you can hand crank. most of the DR & DL's have this provision. the HR will take the 400ft mags. i would suggest a manual, and fresh light oil. the DR & HR are fully professional cameras. the DA & DL have the basic same movements, but sport a lower quality viewfinder option. but, i often choose to shoot with a DA because they are not as cumbersome to carry. i'll take a Bell & Howell over a Bolex any day.

  3. #3
    tfunch24
    Guest tfunch24's Avatar

    Post

    I don't know. It's a hand-cranked camera dating from the late 1920s--1926-1928, according to the eBay description.

    Here's the photo:

    i 1

    I'm not planning on making the jump to Super 16 just yet, so if it's a DA I'm not really affected by the single perf/double perf issue.

    I should have the camera by the end of this week or the beginning of next week.

    I'm trying to track down a manual even as I type this.

    Tom

  4. #4
    Inactive Member vt220's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 15th, 2002
    Posts
    98
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by tfunch24:

    I'm not planning on making the jump to Super 16 just yet, so if it's a DA I'm not really affected by the single perf/double perf issue.
    </font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>

    you might, 'cause kodak is discontinuing double perf stock.

  5. #5
    tfunch24
    Guest tfunch24's Avatar

    Post

    Well, that puts it in a different light!

    We'll see what happens.

    Tom

  6. #6
    tfunch24
    Guest tfunch24's Avatar

    Post

    The camera is equipped with a double-claw; I forgot to mention that in my initial description of the camera. Does that automatically entail double-sprockets?

    I'm sorry, but I am rather unfamiliar with 16mm.

    Tom

  7. #7
    Inactive Member rollemfilm's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 1st, 2000
    Posts
    437
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I don't think Kodak is stopping production on all double perf stocks. But, they are asking dealers to special order them. But even so, you can still buy Ilford and Fomapan film. If your camera has a single claw, changing the sprockets on these cameras is a very inexpensive option. The upside to the double claw camera is better registration. These make great animation cameras.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member rollemfilm's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 1st, 2000
    Posts
    437
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yes, you would need to modify the claw as well as the sprockets to shoot single perf. I wouldn't worry about it. There is plenty of double perf out there. I have never shot single perf yet, both negative & reversal is out there. One thing is for sure. Your slow motion shots will be rock steady. Try here sometime: www.utphoto.com they do filmo conversions and repairs.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member rollemfilm's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 1st, 2000
    Posts
    437
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    That is a DA by the way. Looks like a real nice one.

    I've never seen a winding key like that.
    You may want to try to find a solid chrome key.

    That looks like it may be hard to use. But you cannot hand crank that camera. You can only use the springwound motor.

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ April 01, 2003 12:16 PM: Message edited by: rollemfilm ]</font>

  10. #10
    Inactive Member regular8mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 27th, 2003
    Posts
    33
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi Tom,
    I have a booklet, really old, on those cameras that I'll pick up over Easter, scann it and send it to you. Does yours have the side critical focusing finder? And watch out for the run button, it sometimes sticks on, better oil it there a little.
    Film, single perf, can be had on special order from Kodak out of Denver. There may be some minimum number of spools to get, but that is no problem (with a charge card!) and a freezer. I'd like to get a bunch of Plus-X Reversal single perf.. If you are interested perhaps we could split a big order.

    Michael

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ April 06, 2003 09:44 AM: Message edited by: regular8mm ]</font>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •